Mini-Lessons 1 & 2: The Alphabet and Parkinson Disease



Students created the letters of the alphabet with paper clips.

Today Chloe taught a kindergarten lesson and Jess taught a 6th grade Lesson. Both excelled in their teaching abilities, kept the class engaged and accomplished their objectives.


Feedback

Mina

I really liked Chloe’s lesson because she was hands on and creative and collaborative with her class activity. I liked Jess’s because it was informative and she wanted to make sure everyone understood the important disease. 

Kyle

I really enjoyed Chloes activity. It was very different and a very hands on and creative way to teach the alphabet. By having to add-on to or create our own letter on each page in 10 seconds it forced us to think fast and expand our way of thinking. 

I really enjoyed Jess activity too, it was very informative and a great way to teach and generate awareness since a lot of people are not familiar with the severity of this disease. I thought this a very good activity. 

Alex

Chloe: I really enjoyed Chloe’s lesson because it was interactive and engaging. It allowed you to apply your knowledge in a creative way. 

Jess: I really enjoyed Jess’s lesson because she was extremely knowledgable on the topic and gave us great information on PD. Additionally, I liked the activity of writing a paragraph as someone who has PD or as someone who knows someone who has PD. I loved how she incorporated powerpoint, videos, quiz, and worksheet to keep us engaged. 


Andrea

Chloe: I really liked her hands-on approach to teaching. The paper clip activity was engaging and fun and a great way to show collaboration rather than just explaining it (ie show don’t tell). 

Jess: I liked how Jess stopped to ask us questions throughout her presentation. It allowed the class to stay engaged and interactive. I also liked the journal idea a lot because it allowed me to be creative in my writing which is always fun.

Michaela 

Chloe: I liked that Chloe's presentation was interactive and allowed us to think outside of the box. It woke me up 

Jessica: I liked that Jessica's was very informative. I learned something new. 

Nicole

Chloe: I really enjoy how it was a collaborative effort to complete the letters and we were forced to work off of other people’s ideas to make things better even if that wasn’t the plan we originally had.

Jess: I liked how simple she made a complex topic. It can be very hard to understand something as complex as Parkinson’s but having a better understanding of it now can help my understanding the people around me.

Julia R.

I liked the way that Chloe encouraged the class to build off one another. It is interesting to see the way someone else thinks and then compare it to your own thinking, as they are often completely different.

I liked the way that Jess asked students to step into someone’s shoes who either suffers from Parkinson’s or loves someone who suffers from Parkinson’s. To imagine oneself in another’s situation is to sympathize on a deeper level.

Cameron

I really enjoyed how Chloe's lesson plan was interactive and collaborative. It was really cool to see how everyone problem solved differently when they got to a letter that seemed like it was complete. 

Jess’s presentation was really interesting and I think people learned a lot about a disease they probably knew very little about. Her demeanor while presenting was also good and drew the students in. 

Irene

What I liked about Chloe's lesson is that it was fun and creative. I had mentioned to her that through group effort we were able to make something together and even if we are different, we were able to collaborate and make something creative. 

What I liked about Jess' presentation is that she was very knowledgeable on the subject and she used many different ways of making sure the students were involved with the lesson. 

Julia C.

I liked how we had to get up in Chloe’s presentation and be interactive with other students work. It was great to capitalize and work together and bring our own individual creativity into the project. 

I liked how Jess taught a subject that most wouldn’t expect. She integrated her education here at UM to teach a very important subject. 

Scott

Demi

I thought Chloe’s lesson plan was very well prepared and allowed us to use our creativity, which made the activity more fun. It was interesting to see each student’s own unique ideas. 

Jess did an amazing job with her lesson plan and was very thought provoking when we were educated on how powerful Parkinson’s is and what comes along with this disease such as depression. It was very educational and provided a lot of information, but was easy to follow. 

Bella

I liked the creativity that Chloe put into this assignment. It takes a lot of courage to stand in front of the class and teach a lesson to college students, and she was able to do so with grace. It was fun to walk around and help build the alphabet, all contributing to the lesson that not one person made the alphabet. Not one student in the class made a shape, and it was cool to build off of each other's ideas. 

I really liked that Jess picked a topic that she was passionate about. It's easier to teach when you feel connected to the topic. Her passion and knowledge on the subject was very clear. She did a lot of research and put a lot of time into this lesson plan (with her two forms of assessments and reward). She was nervous to do this topic and I think she handled it really well. 

Megan

I liked the creativity that was used for Chloe's presentation. It was a fun a group activity for the entire class to partake in. 

For Jess's presentation it was evident the amount of work and effort she put into the presentation. 

Laryssa

I enjoyed Chloe’s lesson because it forced the class as a whole to use our creative minds together. 

I liked how Jess informed the class about Parkinson disease and made us all individually write about what it would be like knowing someone or having the disease. 

Chloe: 

I really enjoyed Jess’s lesson. I haven’t sat in on a science lesson in awhile and it felt very informative in a way that I cared. She spoke very well. 

Julia N.

 liked Chloe’s lesson because it was interactive and it taught the class about the alphabet in an engaging way. I liked Jessica’s lesson about Parkinson’s because it was informative and interesting in the way she taught it with us writing a journal entry. 

Amy

Lessons 1. 
I like that it was creative and we got to talk and move around the room!
Lesson 2. 
I liked the video

Jared

Chloe: I liked hers as it was interactive and something different, however the timing of switching and moving got a little messy.

Jess: I liked that she had many different things to do, but the subject matter was a tad dark and serious.

Bob


First presentation: I enjoyed using my creativity to create letters from paper clips in a way it was really really therapeutic 

Second presentation: I loved that we discussed something more upsetting but discussed it in such a serious manner. Also loved learning about Parkinson and reminded me I’m blessed since anyone could get it 

Suggestions
  • Apply terminology that corresponds with grade level.
  • Use simple language, pace speech, provide plenty of examples.
  • Diversify manipulatives to stimulate creativity.
  • Explain concept, prior to introduction of learning activity.
  • Employ hands-on activity in order to integrate arts/science lesson. 
  • Combine the conceptual aspect of the lesson with the interactive, arts related, activity.
  • Facilitate teamwork to stimulates collaboration, group dynamics and  interpersonal skills.
  • Show visuals at beginning of lesson to initiate brainstorming and grab students attention.
  • Teacher participation increases class motivation and positive student behaviors.
  • Lessons that do not rely on technology, but on the arts, can improve levels of interaction.  
  • Manage behaviors before beginning instruction and throughout. 
  • No matter how serious the subject, leave students with a positive message. 
  • Use tangible positive reinforcement only when is needed.

Feedback About Video First Week of Class: Day 1

Nicole, Bella, Stoni, Mark, Gurvan

Do what they want while they are still respecting you. Don't stifle them. Let them express themselves. They're allowed to talk 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photography: Shape, Line, Texture, Pattern and Deasign

Conceptual Art: Ana Mendieta's Merging with Nature

Artificial Intelligence: Using Storytelling to Counteract Touchscreen Devices